The Rocky Mountain Star Stare is an annual premiere star party sponsored by the Colorado Springs Astronomical Society. Held every summer, RMSS has been one of the nation’s premier star parties for the last 30 years. RMSS annually hosts 350+ amateur and professional astronomers and is located southwest of Colorado Springs between the Sangre de Cristo & Wet mountain ranges at 7600 feet above sea level.
- Pristine dark-sky observing
- National-level scientific speakers who are experts covering the entire spectrum of astronomy
- Presentations from beginners and seasoned veterans alike
- Annual photo contest
- ATM walkabout – amateur astronomers showing off their telescope-making abilities and innovative ideas
- Kids activities & games – including a fossil dig, Kids Astronomy 101, Cool Science!, kite building, air rockets, and more!
- Door prizes & raffle – a chance to win multiple items from our sponsors!
Meals & Vendors
RMSS is held at a dry camping site. Tents, campers, trailers, and RVs are all welcome on-site as long as they are set up around the perimeter of the observing fields. Locations are on a first come, first serve basis.
Our site does not support RV hookups at this time. If you require full hookups for your RV rig, you can arrange for these separately in nearby Walsenburg or Westcliffe.
There are available portable toilets scattered near the observing fields for the comfort of our guests. The Town Hall building houses a vendor area, check-in/registration, and the presentation center for speakers and workshops.
Walsenburg: (25 minutes away)
- Best Western Rambler: 855-574-7045
- Budget Host Country Motel: 719-738-3800
- La Plaza Inn: 719-738-5700
Westcliffe: (30 minutes away)
- Westcliffe Inn: 719-722-2643
- Antler Motel: 719-783-2426
- Courtyard Country Inn: 719-783-9616
- Wet Mountain RV Park & Cabins: 719-371-1389 (Westcliffe)
- Grape Creek RV Park: 719-783-2588 (Westcliffe)
- Valley View Mobile & RV Community: 719-783-9321 (Westcliffe)
Early registration is $45 for adults and $20 for children when you register online by June 7, 2017. After that, on-site registration is $65 for adults and $30 for children.
Children 6 and younger are FREE, when accompanied by parent.